Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Big Scare at the Garage


Driving home from work last night I was unable to turn, as I usually do, up Abbott Street for the last 2 blocks of the journey. I was very surprised to see Abbott Street all blocked off by the Vancouver Police. I was even more surprised to multiple fire trucks and squad cars, numerous officers, and the VPD Hazardous Waste Unit guys walking around in funny space suites. Not only that, but several media outlets had reporters there with satilite trucks for 'live, on the scene reporting.'

Thankfully I was able to get to my building, and it was unaffected. But I was curious about what was going down. Now I know:

VANCOUVER, British Columbia (AP) - "A letter containing suspicious white powder triggered a quarantine for several hours at GM Place, home of the Vancouver Canucks. The substance was later determined to be not harmful.

Police say the contents of the package leaked onto a desk when opened by Orca Bay staff Monday. None of the seven employees exposed to the material became ill.

The letter referred to Canucks star Todd Bertuzzi, although no other details were released. Bertuzzi was suspended and reinstated by the NHL for his on-ice attack of Steve Moore in 2004. He played for Canada at the Turin Olympics.

The Canucks were in Dallas on Monday night and lost their fourth straight game."

Interestingly, it would seem that the last sentence of the story is what most people are upset about.

(P.S. The picture I posted is really out of date - it is missing about a half dozen buildings! It's hard to beleive the changes to the neighborhood!)

1 comment:

Vancouver Condo Church said...

Can you update your blog it is starting to bore me.

Your secret blog inspector. (YSBI)