Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Ain't No Sunshine

Ain’t No Sunshine. Oh rain, rain go away! Come back in…August. We might have dried out by then. I mean, I love Vancouver, and I don’t mind stepping out into a drizzle, but since the middled of December when it all kind of started it has gotten ridiculous. We’ve been in Vancouver for seven years now, and have never thought about building an ark until now. Or maybe booking a vacation to some sun destination…like Calgary. (C’mon…that’s why they call it Sunny Alberta.)

For some dumb reason I was a little disappointed when we fell short of passing the record for consecutive days of rain earlier this month. I think it was that if we had to put up with this liquid, sunless misery, we might at least have something to brag about. Maybe we could buy T-shirts with “I survived the winter monsoon of ’06” emblazoned on them in a dull grey color.

But all is not lost. As it turns out there were only two days out of 31 in January when rain didn't fall at some point -- more days of rain than any other month in the city's history, and in that time 283.6 mm of precipitation fell, beating the old record of 281.8 mm, set in 1992. I guess I could put that on a T-shirt. It would just have to be a big T-shirt.

So now everyone in the city has an excuse for being grumpy. And moldy.

Signing off from a sodden mess.

2 comments:

jeremy postal said...

Grumpy and moldy is one thing...

More snow then I know what to do with is another thing completely......I've been taking my snorkel snowboarding!! Your just living in, as opposed to at, the wrong elevation....

A trek up to beautiful-if-you-can-see-it Mt. Fogmour....I mean Mt. Seymour might be worth it.

Siggy Islander said...

Oh, to spend a day or two or three on the slopes. Even if I use 2 skinny sticks instead of 1 fat one...