Saturday, November 04, 2006

Hearing Impaired?

I was reading the other day in Genesis 2 where Satan says to Eve, "Did God really say...?"

It's a question that continues to haunt humans. I don't think I've ever had Satan ask me that, but I have asked it myself. There have been times when I know I have heard a clear 'word from the Lord', but down the road, life cuts in and you begin to wonder if you really heard. "Did God really say...?"

I was sharing our story today with someone today. He really isn't in relationship with me and hasn't journyed with us. He wanted to know why we lived in downtown Vancouver, and then knowing that we are now on the Island said something to the effect of "Well, I guess that didn't work, did it." What I heard was, "Well, I guess you failed."

I didn't take my friends comments personally, but I do wish I had a better explanation for what has transpired in our lives over that past few years. I have tried to understand it, make peace with it, but I still have many questions. In quite moments it makes me wonder "Did God really say...?"

People don't always get 'the message' from God right - that includes me. It would be easier if God dropped a brick from heaven with a note. But that's not the way it seems to happen. I believe he leads us, gives us direction, but that sometimes we read into the story things he wasn't intending. Call it jumping to spiritual conclusions. So then when things don't turn out the way WE expect, we begin to wonder "Did God really say...?" In the mean time, maybe God's saying, "Yes you heard me, but you didn't understand what I was saying..."

Here's what I know for sure. God loves me and my family and doesn't play games with our lives. God does speak to me in a personal way. I am trying to serve him the best I can. Downtown Vancouver was a fantastic experience. Nanaimo is a special place and we are glad to be here. And I choose to walk and live by faith...

No comments: